HYPEREMESIS GRAVIDARUM SIGNS, SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT
Hyperemesis Gravidarum is a pregnancy condition characterized by severe vomiting, nausea, weight loss, electrolyte disturbance and weakness.
Many women experience morning sickness (nausea) during pregnancy, which is generally harmless but uncomfortable and goes way within 12 weeks.
Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) is an extreme form of morning sickness.
HOW TO TELL IF YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS OR HYPEREMESIS GRAVIDARUM.
In other to get proper treatment and prompt medical interventions, every pregnant woman should be able to different between the two.
TYPICAL SYMPTOMS OF MORNING SICKNESS INCLUDES:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Symptoms usually subsides at 12 weeks; sooner or later.
- Nausea and vomiting that is not severe and generally uncomfortable
- Sleepiness and general fatigue
- Breast tenderness
While the typical signs and symptoms of Hyperemesis Gravidarum includes:
- Very severe nausea and vomiting that can prevent any food from staying in your tummy.
- A strong aversion for food.
- Weight loss.
- Extreme fatigue.
- low blood pressure.
- rapid heart rate.
- and loss of skin elasticity.
While in some cases or rather in my case I suffered other illnesses and symptoms, like hair loss, blurry vision, change of voice, severe tummy cramps, joint tenderness and pains that affected my knees.
LET’S DISCUSS SOME TREATMENT FOR HYPERMESIS GRAVIDARUM
In almost all cases of severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum, hospitalization is usually required. Some common medical treatments includes
- Intravenous fluids (IV) which is used to restore hydration, nutrients, vitamins and electrolyte in the body.
- Tube feeding – which is sometimes- Nasogastric; restores nutrients through a tube passing through the nose into the stomach. Or Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy- which restores nutrients through a tube passing through the abdomen into the stomach.
- The use of medication.
Some helpful medication offered by hospital includes:
Some simple non-medical treatments includes
- Using herbs
Herbs like ginger or peppermint or the mixture of both is very useful in reducing symptoms of Nausea and vomiting.
- Bed rest
well in most Hyperemesis Gravidarum cases a pregnant mother naturally is on a bed rest condition because the illness is so severe that you can not work or do anything meaningful all day long. It is also advisable to be cautious of too much bed time as it can cause other issues such as muscles loss due to inactivity.
- Try acupressure: This is usually done by locating and pressing firmly the pressure point at the middle of the inner wrist. This pressure helps to reduce nausea and vomiting. And if you are currently in need of more knowledge concerning the illness, then visit HER (Hyperemesis Education & Research) foundation.
Almost all women experience varying degrees of morning sickness which occur at anytime of the day not only morning. Some tends to rise during the evenings.
The morning sickness and HG is said to have a connection to Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) which is hormone produced during pregnancy by the placenta. The body produces a very large amount of these which rise at a rapid rate during pregnancy.
You are most likely to experience Hyperemesis Gravidarum when;
- You are pregnant with more than one baby.
- likely overweight.
- Have a long history of HG in your family.
- First time mother
- An abnormal growth of cell inside the uterus (trophoblastic disease) can also cause it.
Hyperemesis Gravidarum is sometimes a long-term issue that can last all through pregnancy with symptoms disappear immediately after birth. Care should be taken when administering any medication as it can cause unwanted complication to you or your baby. In all, make sure to stick to your doctor’s advice and stay close to your hospital.
SOURCE: – www.hyperemesis.org
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE;
HYPSEMESIS GRAVIDARUM SIGNS, SYMPTOMS AND TREATMENT